Page Content

Transfer Student FAQ

Q: Does Wake Forest Law accept transfer students?
A: Yes. After the completion of the first semester of law school, transfer applicants can apply. Applicants applying for transfer admission must apply electronically via LSAC by submitting the regular Wake Forest Law application and selecting “Transfer and Visiting” within the Application Status section.

Q: What is the deadline for transfer admission for fall 2017?
A: August 1.

Q: Can I transfer after first semester?
A: Not at this time.

Q: Can I transfer after second year?
A: No. After your second year, we will grant visiting student status. Visiting status is usually granted based on extenuating circumstances and your diploma will still come from your original school.

Q: Does Wake Forest Law offer transfer application fee waivers?
A: There is no fee for transfer applicants.

Q: How many transfer students does Wake Forest Law plan to accept this year?
A: We seat transfer students every year, but this number varies. Historical data is not predictive of how many offers of admission we will extend in a given admissions cycle. We do not provide statistics on transfer applications or admissions.

Q: Does Wake Forest Law require my LSAT score to be reported from CAS?
A: Yes, the law school will request a report from CAS that contains your LSAT score and undergraduate transcript upon processing your transfer application. However, if you applied before, we will use the CAS report supplied with the first application.

Q: Does my LSAT score matter when applying to transfer?
Yes and no. Your LSAT score will be considered, but it matters less than it did when you initially applied to law school. With a year of actual classroom experience behind you and the grades that accompany it, there’s less need for a prediction from a test score.

Q: Should I send my law school transcript, letter of good standing and class rank to LSAC for processing?
A: No. You should send all information directly to Wake Forest Law. This will help reduce the processing time of your application.

Q: Do you require a letter of good standing from my current law school?
A: Yes. The letter of good standing should be sent to the Admissions Office after the completion of your spring semester.

Q: Do you require class rank in addition to the transcript?
A: Yes. We require both class rank and an official transcript. The transcript must include fall and spring term grades, and the class rank must be calculated after spring grades are released.

Q: How many recommendations do I need to submit?
A: Applicants are requested to submit one letter of recommendation from one of your law school professors.

Q: Excluding the paperwork submitted to the Office of Admissions, is there additional paperwork I am required to send?
A: No.

Q: What if my school is not able to submit my transcripts, letter of good standing and class rank by July 1?
A: We understand that each law school may not have all of the information available by July 1. Please contact us if information will not be available.

Q: When can I expect a decision on my application?
A: We begin review of transfer applications as files are completed. Applicants are notified on a rolling basis as soon as decisions are made. An applicant’s entire file is reviewed, with particular attention paid to performance in the first year of law school.

Q: Are transfer students eligible for scholarships?
A: No, transfer students are ineligible for scholarships.

Q: How much is tuition?
A: For 2016-2017, tuition is $43,594. The total Cost of Attendance (COA) for Financial Aid purposes is $66,132. One of the great aspects of life in Winston-Salem is the low cost of living, and many students find they can live on much less than the amount allotted for the COA ($22,538). For more information about tuition, fees, and financial aid, please see our Costs, Aid & Scholarship webpage.

Q: When is my seat deposit due?
A: A $500 seat deposit is due as soon as possible upon offer of admission and prior to registration. Please make sure that Wake Forest Law has your current mailing address and email address on file.

Q: How many credits are required to apply as a transfer candidate?
A: There is not a minimum or maximum requirement. However, transfer students must complete a minimum of 54 hours (60%) at Wake Forest Law in order to qualify for ta Wake Forest Law degree.

Q: What criteria does Wake Forest Law use for awarding transfer credit?
A: The Associate Dean will determine the overall number of credits earned, the number of credits to be attributed to each course, and the number of graduation requirements that the transfer student has satisfied. The decision is based on the similarity in subject matter and academic rigor between the course as taught at the previous law school and the course as taught at Wake Forest Law. The transfer of credits usually results in the loss of some credit because of differences in graduation requirements and course credits. This determination is typically based on an interview with the transfer student, a review of curriculum information from the previous law school, and in some cases, consultation with faculty members who taught the transfer student at the previous law school.

The Associate Dean’s objective is to grant each transfer student the number of credits and fulfillment of degree requirements that students would receive for completing comparable work at Wake Forest. Keep in mind, full credit for Legal Analysis, Research and Writing from the previous law school is generally not given and depending on the previous law school’s curriculum, some 1L Wake Forest Law classes may be required.

Q: When will I find out which law school credits are transferable to Wake Forest Law?
A: Official notification is given the first week of September. However, you will receive a good indication of transferable credit during the interview with the Associate Dean for Academic Affairs.

Q: Can credits from a previous graduate degree transfer toward the J.D. program?
A: No. Only credits taken at an ABA- or state-approved law school may count toward the J.D.

Q: How is a transfer student’s cumulative GPA calculated?
A: Grades earned by a transfer student at another law school are not included with grades obtained at Wake Forest University for purposes of determining class rank. Transfer students are ranked unofficially after completion of the first semester of enrollment at Wake Forest. At that time the rank is established by a dual rank procedure. Hence, if a transfer student receives the same GPA as the 32nd ranked person in his class, he will also be ranked 32nd in his class. If the GPA is not identical, ranking is based on best fit. Transfer students are officially ranked cumulatively with their graduating class.

Q: According to Wake Forest Law policy, what is the maximum time to earn the Juris Doctor degree?
A: Students must complete the program of study within six years.

Q: Are transfer students assigned advisors?
A: Yes. Transfer advisors are assigned during the first week of September. Prior to receiving your official advisor, the Associate Dean for Academic Affairs will give guidance in registering.

Q: Are transfer students permitted to participate in extra-curricular activities?
A: Yes. If you wish to become a member of the Wake Forest Law Review, Wake Forest Journal of Business and Intellectual Property Law, or Wake Forest Journal of Law and Policy, you must participate in the transfer write-on competition that commences immediately after classes begin in August. All transfer students will be notified of the exact dates of the competition via email prior to its commencement. Transfer students who are not extended an invitation through the write-on competition are again considered for membership on the Wake Forest Law Review after the second year if his or her grades place them in the top 10 percent of the class.

Transfer students are invited to participate in the wide-ranging experiences offered at Wake Forest Law including the nearly 40 student clubs and organizations, community service and pro bono activities, and intramural sports, among others.

Q: Can I participate in the Moot Court program as a transfer student?
A: Yes, you are encouraged and invited to participate in the various Moot Court activities. You can earn a spot on the Moot Court Board by demonstrating exceptional writing and oral advocacy skills in the Edwin M. Stanley1 Intramural Moot Court Competition. The Stanley competition is held in the fall of all students’ second year and is designed to coincide with the completion of students’ final writing assignments in Appellate Advocacy. Invitations to join the Moot Court Board are issued to the top 16 finishers in each competition, plus a select few honorable mention qualifiers who exhibited exceptional skill in writing or oral advocacy. Visit here for more information about our Moot Court program.

Q: When is orientation?
A: Transfer Student Orientation, which you are required to attend, normally occurs on the Thursday before classes begin.

Q: When can I utilize the Office of Career Professional and Development?
A: Once you have accepted an offer of admission, paid the requisite seat deposit and confirmed your intention to enroll at Wake Forest Law, you will receive a letter from OCPD with instructions on how to log-in to Symplicity (a web-based program through which students search for part-time, full-time, and summer job opportunities as well as review employer profiles.) You should contact the OCPD to set-up your password so you won’t miss any recruiting deadlines.

Q: Where can I find information about Winston-Salem?
A: You can visit Our City: Winston-Salem and Visit Winston-Salem for information.